Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Annoucement!



Dear readers: Thank you so much for sticking with me through my sporadic posting. I haven't been updating much lately because I've been working on a book, and hope to have it published within the next few months.

I don't think I've mentioned it here before, but I'm an active member of the spoken Latin movement. There are Latin conversation groups, Latin speaking conventions, and spoken Latin classes all across the country and around the world (enabled by the internet, an excellent means for connecting with people who have esoteric interests). As part of this movement, you can find various books--usually children's books--translated into Latin. The Harry Potter translations are fairly famous, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid came out quite recently, but a lot of classic children's stories have been translated too, like Winnie the Pooh and The Little Prince, to say nothing of Terry Tunberg's exceptional translations of Dr. Seuss stories.

To this I intend to add a Latin translation of Oscar Wilde's children's stories: “The Happy Prince,” “The Nightingale and the Rose,” “The Selfish Giant,” and “The Devoted Friend.” If you're unfamiliar with the stories, you can find them here. The stories are lively with Wilde’s signature wit; they feature biting irony, poignant lessons, and engaging drama for all the characters. As a further advantage regarding Latin translation, they for the most part dodge non-classical technical vocabulary, minimizing the need for neologisms and relying on vocabulary that Latin speakers might naturally encounter in the course of reading traditional texts.

I'm very excited about all of this. Watch this space for more details; I’ll certainly be posting a sample when the editing process is done. I’ve already started a second collection of Wilde stories, so we’ll see how fast I can get that off the ground. And I’ll write up some more mythology when I can. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment